Sophie, Sadie, and Monty, ready for fun to happen.
Assignment and resources to get the semester started,
Geo 1405: The Dynamic Earth
This document is subject to revision, so reload this page in your browser every time you visit so that you will be certain to view the most current content.
- The reading assignments are in the required laboratory manual (textbook) listed near the bottom of this document.
- You must submit  the original paper lab-activity sheets on which you have recorded your answers (stapled together in order), and  a PDF file containing scans of the completed laboratory activities to your laboratory instructor before the end of your lab meeting. Instructions for submitting your lab work will be provided in the days to come.
- The end-of-lab quiz must be completed via the Canvas LMS within 6 hours after your laboratory meeting ends.
- View the video introducing the material in the first chapter of the AGI/NAGT Lab Manual at https://goo.gl/c3zAzr.
- View the pronunciation guide for nerdy geoscience terms used in the first chapter of the AGI/NAGT Lab Manual at Pronouncing Terms from the Intro Chapter.
- Read: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, section Introduction and all of its subsections, Pages 2-3.
- Read: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, sections Earth System Science and How Is Each Laboratory Chapter Organized?, Pages 4-6.
- Read: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, Pages 6-9, Getting to Know Your Planet: Geographic Coordinates (Latitude and Longitude) and Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) Coordinates
- Do: Download the free app Google Earth Pro onto your computer from https://www.google.com/earth/versions/ .
View the YouTube video FindingPtsWithGeogCoords-GoogleEarthPro at https://youtu.be/PWxcEOQMBxE to familiarize yourself with using Google Earth Pro.
Play. Look around your planet. Find where you live right now (use your address in the search window) and places you have visited. Have good nerdy fun. But come back to Earth eventually, because we have more work to do.
- Do: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, Activity 1.1, Pages 17-18. If you get stuck, contact your Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) or Dr. Cronin and they'll try to help you get unstuck. Submit a PDF of your completed activity sheet to the Intro assignment in Canvas — submission instructions HERE.
- Read: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, Basic Number Management, p. 15-16
- Do: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, Activity 1.6, Unit Conversions, Scientific Notation, and Rates, p. 25-26, and submit it to the Intro assignment in Canvas — submission instructions HERE.
- Do: AGI/NAGT Lab Manual, chapter 1, Activity 1.7, Graphing and Interpreting Data, p. 27-28, and submit it to the Intro assignment in Canvas — submission instructions HERE.
Summary of Assigned Lab Activities for This Week: Activities 1.1, 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7
Required Textbook And Online Resources
AGI/NAGT Laboratory Manual in Physical Geology, 12th edition (paper copy)
Print Lab Manual ISBN: 9780135836972
Contacting Your Teachers
How To Contact Professor Cronin
Professor Cronin is available to facilitate understanding of course material that you have been studying and to help you navigate around any temporary barriers to your learning.
mobile, for text or voice: listed on the "lecture"-course homepage on Canvas.
Only contact him on his mobile device between 8 AM and 8 PM Central Time, and only if it is an important question/issue related to this course.
How To Contact Your Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Lab Section B (Tues 2:40-4:35 PM): Sanjukta Dhar — email Sanjukta_Dhar1@baylor.edu
- Lab Section C (Tues 4:40-6:35 PM): Sanjukta Dhar — email Sanjukta_Dhar1@baylor.edu
- Lab Section D (Wed 12:20-2:15 PM): Toluwaleke Ajayi (AJ) — email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lab Section E (Wed 2:30-4:25 PM): Toluwaleke Ajayi (AJ) — email email@example.com
- Lab Section J (Thurs 2:40-4:35 PM): Vinothan Sivapalan — email firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to the lab homepage/syllabus
If you have any questions or comments about this site or its contents, drop an email to the humble webmaster.
All of the original content of this website is © 2020 by Vincent S. Cronin