Snowy ridgeline just east of Ouray, Colorado. Photo by Vince Cronin.
Standards of Geoscience Ethics
The American Geophysical Union is the largest organization of Earth and space scientists in the world, with more than 65,000 members. AGU has articulated a minimal set of standards that geoscientists are required to meet in order to be members of AGU or participants in AGU activities.
Members of the Baylor Geosciences Department, as part of the international geoscience community, are expected to abide by the AGU Scientific Integrity and Professional Ethics Policy to the extent that it does not conflict with Baylor University's nondiscrimination policies and statements (e.g., https://www.baylor.edu/bupp/doc.php/281653.pdf and https://www.baylor.edu/student_policies/index.php?id=22176).
The AGU Scientific Integrity and Professional Ethics Policy is available online at ethics.agu.org/files/2013/03/Scientific-Integrity-and-Professional-Ethics.pdf.
Organizations with a special focus on geoscience ethics
Geoscience ethics codes
Other important applied-ethics documents
Other GeoEthics resources
Baylor University documents related to ethics and integrity
- Ethics Point: web document
- Academic Integrity and Honor Code: web document
- Academic Integrity Web Site: web document
- Title IX Office: web document
- Sex Discrimination, Sexual Violence, and Sexual Harassment Policy: web document
- Office of Research Compliance: web document
- Baylor University Policies and Procedures: web document
- General Employment Policies (BU-PP 002): web document
- Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Interpersonal Violence Policy (BU-PP 022): web document
- Standards of Personal Conduct (BU-PP 023): web document
- Code of Ethics (BU-PP 024): web document
- Sexual Harassment Policy in the Civil Rights Policy (BU-PP 028): web document
- Interim Baylor Civil Rights Policy and Procedures for Employees (BU-PP 028a): PDF document
- Sexual Misconduct Policy (BU-PP 031): web document
- Policy on Romantic and/or Sexual Conduct with Students and Supervisees (BU-PP 036): PDF document
- Whistleblower Policy (BU-PP 037): PDF document
- Faculty Conflict of Interest Policy (BU-PP 700): web document
- Officer, (and) Administrative Employee and Other Employees Conflict of Interest Policy (BU-PP 800): web document
This is not a static resource, so please send your comments, suggestions for additional resources, or notice of broken links to Vince Cronin via Vince_Cronin@baylor.edu.