GeoEthics Online Resources
The International Association for Promoting Geoethics is a group foundedin Rome in 2012 with sections in a growing number of countries worldwide. Their name states their mission. There is no fee to be a member of this organization, although donations are always welcome. Their primary activity is the organization of talks, symposia, and publications related to GeoEthics, and the production of a blog and other information transmitted online through social media. IAPG is affiliated with a number of other organizations, including the American Geosciences Institute (AGI), Geological Society of America (GSA), European Geoscience Union (EGU), International Union of Geological Societies (IUGS), Geological Surveys of Europe (EGS), European Federation of Geologists (EFG), African Network for Geo-Education (ANGE). To learn more about IAPG and to become a member, visit http://www.iapg.geoethics.org.
In the summer of 2014, David Mogk (Montana State University) and Monica Bruckner (Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College) convened a workshop on Teaching GeoEthics Across the Geosciences Curriculum at Chico Hot Springs in Montana. SERC maintains a website associated with this workshop and its products at http://serc.carleton.edu/geoethics/index.html. Although this workshop is over, the online resource is still growing and is open to new contributions from the broader geoscience community.
- ABET, 2015, Criteria for accrediting applied science programs, 2015-2016: Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, http://www.abet.org/accreditation/accreditation-criteria/criteria-for-accrediting-applied-science-programs-2015-2016/
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Scientific Integrity, http://www.aaas.org/page/scientific-integrity
- American Geosciences Institute, http://www.americangeosciences.org
- American Institute for Professional Geologists, http://www.aipg.org
- Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions, Illinois Institute of Technology, http://ethics.iit.edu
- Ethics in Science and Engineering National Clearinghouse, http://www.umass.edu/sts/digitallibrary/
- Ethics Unwrapped, University of Texas, McCombs School of Business, http://ethicsunwrapped.utexas.edu
- Geological Society of London, 2014, Geology for society: http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/geology-for-society, 20 p.
- ImpactCS Project, George Washington University, http://www.seas.gwu.edu/%7Eimpactcs//index.html
- International Association for Promoting Geoethics, http://www.iapg.geoethics.org
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy -- a peer-reviewed academic resource, http://www.iep.utm.edu/ethics/
- Jackson, C.I., 2000, Honor in science: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, Sigma Xi, 41 p., https://www.sigmaxi.org/docs/default-source/Programs-Documents/Ethics-and-Research/free-pdf.pdf?sfvrsn=2
- Luegenbiehl, H.C., and Davis, M., 1992, Engineering codes of ethics -- analysis and applications: unpublished paper originally written to be part of the Exxon Modules for Applied Ethics Series, 76 p., http://ethics.iit.edu/publication/CODE--Exxon Module.pdf or http://hdl.handle.net/10560/2228
- Mogk, D., 2014, Responsible conduct of research: Teaching geoethics across the geoscience curriculum, Science Education Resource Center, http://serc.carleton.edu/geoethics/rcr_responsible.html
- Murdough Center for Engineering Professionalism, Texas Tech University, http://www.depts.ttu.edu/murdoughcenter/
- National Association of State Boards of Geology, http://www.asbog.org
- National Center for Professional & Research Ethics, 2015, Ethics CORE: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, accessible online via https://www.nationalethicscenter.org
- National Science Foundation, Responsible Conduct of Research, http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/rcr.jsp
- National Society of Professional Engineers, Ethics, http://www.nspe.org/resources/ethics
- Northeast Ethics Education Partnership (NEEP), http://brown.edu/research/research-ethics/neep
- Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Research, http://www.onlineethics.org/CMS/about/UserGuide/18848.aspx
- Poynter Center for the Study of Ethics and American Institutions, http://poynter.indiana.edu/teaching-research-ethics/workshop-details
- Science Education Resource Center, Teaching GeoEthics Across the Geoscience Curriculum, http://serc.carleton.edu/geoethics/index.html
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, http://plato.stanford.edu
- Stowe, S., 2001, Professionalism and ethics in science: Human Resources and Diversity Programs Directorate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, http://www.csm.ornl.gov/RAM/Stow/index.htm
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Research Integrity, http://ori.hhs.gov
- Wikipedia Portal for Ethics, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Ethics
This is not a static resource, so please send your suggestions for additional resources to Vince Cronin via Vince_Cronin@CroninProjects.org.
If you have any questions or comments about this site or its contents, drop an email to the humble webmaster.
All of the original content of this website is © 2015 by Vincent S. Cronin